Saturday, April 5, 2014

Access to the Cloud

I’ve heard the term “Google Docs” many times but never had the experience of working with it.  Google Docs is a file storage utility which provides users with the ability to create and store files in the cloud so they can access their files through their email account from wherever they are so people don't have to physically carry all of their documents with them.

After reviewing various videos on what Google Docs is, its functionality and how it would benefit me and my work, I wanted to dig in and create my first document.  I located a very easy to follow tutorial through AnsonAlex.com which is a “blog intended to facilitate the process of information sharing”.  The tutorial got straight to the point in training how to use the various tools available in Google Docs and I especially liked the fact that he did not belabor on unnecessary information.  Here is the video tutorial:
Initially, I plan to use Google Docs as the newly appointed chairperson for Civic & Conversation  in my garden club.  My new responsibilities include creating a schedule for fellow club members to sign up to plant and tend after gardens in a nearby park and plant container gardens for a local organization.

Also, there are many benefits to my workplace in utilizing the function of sharing and accessing documents which can only be accessed by logging into our network and searching for the documents located on a common drive. 

Another idea is to use the forms function to create surveys following various training sessions or to survey customers pertaining to their satisfaction with the service we've provided.

References:
   
Alex, A.  2014. Google Docs and Google Drive Tutorial 2014 [Video}. Retrieved from: http://ansonalex.com/

Google Docs Images:
Retrieved from: http://www.edudemic.com/50-little-known-ways-google-docs-can-help-in-education/

2 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    The link to the video above was extremely helpful. I've used Google Docs a few times over the years, and now that it has become Google Drive, I think it's become better and more easy to use. I plan on using it more often now that I know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...Colleen that was a great video...I have used Google Docs for quite sometime, but only used the create a document. I never used excel or the spreadsheets..I thought the video expressed a lot of good information and I played around a lot more with the new information gained. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete