Sunday, April 27, 2014

Getting More Out of the Internet

It seems almost anything can be done through a internet portal from banking to shopping to tracking your personal goals for weight management to taking courses on-line or streaming a video.  Recently for me, the internet has been a valuable tool in assisting me while I am researching specific topics or simply trying to figure out what an unfamiliar term means and how to apply it by using an on-line dictionary.

We seem to have three distinct generations of computer users: {1}the ones with the opinion that they don’t need a computer because they have lived this long without it (my dad); {2} the generation who grew up with DOS, floppy disks, dot matrix printers and were among the first users of the internet but mainly because their jobs required it, and (3) the generation who were essentially born with some sort of PED in their hands.  The youngest generation amazes me in their ability to adapt so easily to the fast changing internet.  

I place myself in the second generation meaning I am savvy enough to search the internet for information, able to use various email software programs, download music, play games, visit social media sites, etc.  At times though it seems like I am five steps behind because of new and improved versions of “social” media websites pop up.  An example is the time I first learned about Instagram or Pinterest which was because my kids were raving about them. Needless to say I was clueless.  It’s like a whole other world residing in our computer monitor and if you don’t take the correct door, you’ll be left behind.

The internet is highly valued by many people and organizations in the daily activities and I believe it will continue to be the source we turn to in the future for managing all that affects our personal, social and business lives.  What will be the next best thing it can do to enhance our lives which it isn’t already doing ...dare I ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment