Saturday, April 12, 2014

Communicating Online


This chapter provided a great review for the various ways of communicating with others on-line and I learned new terminology such as “e-mail client” which is software installed on a computer which is used to send/receive/create contacts/manage e-mail messages, etc.  E-mail is probably one of the most popular form for all of us in communicating with others on-line. 

One feature I plan to look into is pertaining to organizing my email messages to determine if my work email has the functionality to automatically have messages from a certain individual go to a folder for that particular individual.  I have certain instances where this would be very helpful in managing my messages.

At work, we use LotusNotes and I have two personal email accounts, one being my gmail account and the  
other is my yahoo account. Our employer’s internal controls policy prohibits staff from accessing web-based e-mail such as yahoo.com from our work desktops or laptops.

One of my favorite features in my work email is called “stationery” which allows me to create templates for emails I routinely send out to various groups of individuals.  I create the group which includes individuals who should receive the email.  This assists me in that I don’t have to add them to each email every time and the likelihood that I forget someone is eliminated. Also, because the language is the same except for who the email pertains to, it is a huge timesaver for me in typing the same language over and over again.

Another feature covered in this chapter related to signature block.  A few years ago, our IT Department directed us to include a standard signature block for all employees for every email message we sent out.  A few weeks ago, we were instructed to add a link to a Customer Service Survey (Survey Monkey) so we could find out what our customers, both internal and external, thought about the service they were provided. 



References:

Images retrieved from:
http://d2qpgu1b5rkvmc.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/oneclient2.png 

http://www.onedayonejob.com/jobs/surveymonkey/

No comments:

Post a Comment